Monday, June 24, 2013

Catalog Imitates Art


The image above is smaller than I would like, but it's the best I could do short of scanning the front cover of a mid-June catalog from Coldwater Creek, a Sandpoint, Idaho based clothing retailer. I noticed it because my wife, a Coldwater Creek fan, had it sitting by our back door, probably anticipating a shopping expedition.

The image struck me because it greatly resembled:

Paseo a orillas del mar (Walk on the Beach) - 1909

This is one of Joaquin Sorolla's better known paintings. It can be seen in the Sorolla museum in Madrid, the artist's former residence.

It's nice to see that Sorolla is getting some backhanded and very subtle recognition. Now I'll have to keep my eyes peeled to see if future Coldwater catalogs have cover art mimicking other paintings.

No comments: