Thursday, September 3, 2020

More Portraits by Cecilia Beaux

Cecilia Beaux (1855-1942) was one of America's finest portrait artists. Her Wikipedia entry is here, and I wrote about her here. That was several years ago, so I think it's time to feature more of her portrait work. Enjoy!

Gallery

Ethel Page (Mrs. James Large) - 1884

Ethel Page as Undine - 1885

Ethel Page - pastel - 1890
The three images above are of the same subject from a prominent Philadelphia family.

Mrs Clement B Newbold (Mary Scott) - 1896

The Dreamer - 1894

Mrs. Larz Anderson - 1901

Ernesta
Another image of Ernesta can be seen in the above link to my previous post about Beaux.

Sita and Sarita (Portrait of Sarah Allibone Leavitt) - 1893-94
Of course I can't resist including what is perhaps her best-known painting. You might find it on display at the Musée d'Orsay in Paris.

1 comment:

Joe Markley said...

I enjoyed a magnificent show of her portraits twenty-five years ago at the Smithsonian American Art Museum--time in those galleries left me thinking that she was the equal, or very nearly so, of Sargent. I'm afraid those straightforward artist-oriented exhibitions are old hat now!